Thursday, August 25, 2011

I would love to remake Amar Akbar Anthony

IIPM Mumbai Campus

The maker of "Lagaan", "Jodhaa Akbar", and now "khelein hum jee jaan sey", Ashutosh Gowariker has his eyes trained on history. in an interview with Neha Sarin, Ashutosh comes clean on his penchant for patriotic themes, and his sensitivity to criticism.

How did you as an actor decide to become a director? Did you always want to become one?

Ashutosh GowarikerNo. First of all, I never thought I would be an actor. I became an actor by accident. In college, I was a part of plays and I got picked up for one of those parts in Ketan Mehta's "Holi". That’s how I became an actor. I have not trained as an actor or director. My only thing was intention. I realised, even as an actor, when I was on sets, I would keenly observe everything going around even if I was not in the shot. I would observe the director. I was like Eklavya, where I was watching and learning by proxy. Luck favoured me when I got my first opportunity in the form of "Pehla Nasha"; it was by Deepak Tijori. Aamir and Shah Rukh knew that I had an inclination and they also felt very strongly that I (Ashutosh Gowariker) should become a director.

How did you stumble upon the story of "Khelein Hum Jee Jaan Sey"?

I stumbled upon the book “Do and Die” by Manini Chatterjee about the uprising of the 1930s. I initially thought the book was called “Do or Die” but it was actually called “Do and Die,” meaning there was no option; I found that intriguing. It was about a massive uprising which consisted of 64 people attacking five different sects of the British power one night. It was led by Surjya Sen who was a school teacher and 55 of the 64 people were teenagers. I was absolutely embarrassed that I did not know anything about it except the little in the school books. After I read the account, I was fascinated with the book. You have so many attempts at achieving freedom and revolutions – some of which have been violent, some non-violent, some known and some unknown. I think this was one of those on the path of violence but in a manner that the mercenaries felt strongly in their hearts. The emotion I felt while reading it, I want the nation to discover the same thing. The teenagers’ involvement had a sense of daring because in a way, they are playing with their lives. And to reflect that aspect, I chose the title “Khelein Hum Jee Jaan Sey”.

You have worked with some of the finest actors in the industry including Aamir Khan, Shah Rukh Khan and Hrithik Roshan. How was it working with Abhishek Bachchan?

I've been waiting to work with Abhishek for quite some time but never found the right script. The first impression I got of Surjya Sen, Abhishek's face came to my mind right away and I thought here is an opportunity to work with him and have him play this particular part. What attracted me the most was that he was a school teacher who planned the entire revolution. On one hand is this act of rebellion, but along with that is this purity and innocence. He is a man with a dream in his eyes. I felt Abhishek has these qualities. In his persona there is strength and rebelliousness but at the same time there is a certain degree of purity. It has been tremendous working with Abhishek in this film.

Deepika is such a generation Y girl. What made you select her for the role of Kalpana Dutta in KHJJS?

Kalpana was part of the Congress, but around those times, women couldn’t get into the revolution in a big way. She was someone who had a very rich background; she was a land owner's daughter. Still she wanted to give it away and participate in the revolution. I found an uncanny resemblance between Deepika and the original Kalpana Dutta.
How did you get around to casting Shah Rukh Khan in "Swades", a movie that did touch many a heart, but somehow didn’t set the Bollywood cash registers ringing?
There has been a lot of exchange of ideas and likes and dislikes with Shah Rukh through the acting years, and then during "Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa" and "Chamatkar". When I discussed the idea of "Swades" with him, his immediate reaction was, “I want to be Mohan Bhargav”. For me Mohan Bhargav had to be someone who did not belong. You don't often see Shah Rukh sitting with a book or in a train. I felt the contrast between someone qualified and someone re-entering the world at the grassroots to rediscover. I thought those two opposites helped make Shah Rukh Khan as Mohan Bhargav convincing.

Out of all the films ever made, if you had to remake one film, which one would it be?
I would love to remake “Amar Akbar Anthony” because it’s absolutely escapist entertainment. It’s something that I have never done. I have done more of realistic cinema. What inspires me is the (concept of) three religions. It’s about tolerance and coming together and living in harmony. I like the theme of the film.

Does it bother you when you get negative feedback or comments on your films?

It saddens me but it does not bother me, if you know what I mean. I like constructive criticism; I definitely like to know why it wasn't liked so that I can understand that and see whether I agree or disagree with it. It helps me in taking a step ahead. Opinions and criticisms do matter to me and I try to turn it into something positive.

From where do you draw inspiration for films like "Lagaan" and "Swades"?

One of the things that attract me is that there are people who can come together and make something happen if they want it. We can have different backgrounds and we might have divergent opinions like in the case of “Lagaan” but they decide to come together to fight a common enemy. Even in the case of “Swades”, the way the villagers come together and put their mind to it to improve their way of life. KHJJS too reflects that because there is a revolution led by Surjya Sen with 64 key members; all of them came together for the freedom of the country. If we can come together, we can do it. That is a theme that has an element of patriotism and that subconsciously interests me.

For More IIPM Info, Visit below mentioned IIPM articles.
Management Guru Arindam Chaudhuri Dean Business School IIPM
IIPM Excom Prof Rajita Chaudhuri
Kapil Sibal's voters want Jan Lokpal, not Government-proposed Lokpal Bill

IIPM Prof. Arindam Chaudhuri on For Salman Khurshid, it is a big challenge ahead; and I personally look forward to a revolutionary couple of years ahead!

IIPM Adds Another Feather to Its Cap: This Time Gets the Best Business School of Asia Award
Item Numbers Are The New Mantras of Bollywood
Noida CEO rules out hike in land compensation
IIPM, GURGAON
Noida Extn dreams breaks as court scraps new acquisition

No comments: